Add next in . Do NOT use www. for the new_domain Maria's Blue Crayon: Llama and Cactus Granny Square Afghan - Free Crochet Pattern

Sunday, May 6, 2018

Llama and Cactus Granny Square Afghan - Free Crochet Pattern

Find the free crochet pattern for this Llama and Cactus Granny Square Blanket below or purchase the ad-free PDF printable on Ravelry. (Each and every sale helps me keep my blog running, thank you!)


This cute llama and cactus blanket took me much longer than I anticipated to finish, but I'm thrilled that it's complete! And it's one of my new favorites!

I first made the cactus and I had such a great response from everyone! I wasn't 100% sure where I was headed with the blanket, but when I added llamas it was definitely going in the right direction!

Everyone really loved the llamas - and for good reason! He's simple yet detailed (which is my typical MO) and the little rugs on the backs are a fun way to play with color!


Since I was making a small baby sized blanket, I didn't want to put too many different appliques on it like I did my Ocean Afghan because I really wanted the llamas to be the star of the afghan.

Once I had the llama and cactus theme going on, I wanted to make at least one more applique to tie it all together. I'm not sure why it was a lot harder than one may think to pick a third and final applique to complete the blanket.


After trying out a sun, sombrero, and played with a few other ideas in my head, I decided on a simple flower.

I envisioned the llama and cactus themes that you see everywhere and on everything in stores (it's such a popular theme these days!), so what better than a simple pretty flower.

I really tried to make a cohesive color theme, but I really used a little bit of everything when it came to details! Overall, the blanket gives such a fun and festive theme - so perfect for spring and summer!


I know this blanket is just a tad bit on the girly spectrum, but I think switching out the pink squares for a pretty blue would be so cute for a baby boy blanket!

Ready to make your own?

Get the ad-free PDF printable/downloadable here on Ravelry.

You can also find all the free patterns on my blog!

Llama applique and granny square

Cactus applique and granny square

Flower applique and granny square

Materials for granny squares (baby blanket size)

Impeccable Loops and Threads in White (2 skeins), Arbor Rose (1 skein), and Soft Fern (1 skein)

I made 15 white squares, 6 pink, 9 green, 6 llamas, 5 cacti, and 4 flowers. You can see the layout in the very first photo of how I arranged my squares.

Sew all the appliques onto white squares.



I joined them all together using this joining method.

Once all squares are together, I made a simple border around with J/6.00mm hook and Arbor Rose:

Round 1: Attach yarn to corner, ch 1, sc evenly around the border, making 3 sc in each corner, join to first sc
Round 2: Ch 1, *(sc, ch 3, sc) all in next st, sk 1, repeat from*

Fasten off and weave in any and all ends

Labels: , ,