Add next in . Do NOT use www. for the new_domain Maria's Blue Crayon: Crochet Shag Throw Pillow Free Pattern

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Crochet Shag Throw Pillow Free Pattern

Can you crochet a shag throw pillow? The answer is yes - and the best part?! It's so easy and I have a free pattern for you to follow!


I worked with Lion Brand's Fun Fur years ago to make Grand Poobah hats that I sold on Etsy, so I knew the ins and outs on how to use this yarn to really make it 'work'. Crocheting with the Fun Fur alone is rather difficult, so the trick is to pair it with Vanna's Choice yarn in a similar color.

Pairing the Fun Fur and worsted weighted yarn makes it very easy to work with and still keeps it a pliable fabric. The Fun Fur takes over the worsted weight in a sense, so you are left with a fuzzy, shaggy, and fun fabric!


I have been seeing a lot of faux fur and shag throw pillows out there that are just gorgeous. I thought it would be fun to make my own version using Lion Brand's Fun Fur. It's such an easy project and I even made it so the pillow cover is easy to take on and off.

How easy is this project? You only need to know how to double crochet and single crochet. It's THAT easy and you're left with a pretty pillow that is sure to spruce up your home decor!

I made my shag pillow in a gray color to go with my Mint to Be Afghan that I put on my sofa. I think this shag pillow would look very pretty in a cream color or even in a light shade of pink!

Save it to your Ravelry for later!

PIN it to your Pinterest boards for safe keeping!

Pattern

Materials
J/6.00mm hook
Tapesty needle and Scissors
16" square pillow form

Notes

The pillow cover will be made in three pieces and then crocheted together.

The pillow cover pieces will be made by holding the Fun Fur and Vanna's Choice together while crocheting. 

Gauge: 4" x 4" ~ 10 st x 5 rows in dc

Abbreviations (US terms)
Ch = chain, sc = single crochet, dc = double crochet, st = stitch(es)

Pattern

Crochet holding the Fun Fur and Vanna's Choice yarn together for all 3 pieces

Main Piece

Row 1: Ch 42, dc into 3rd ch from hook and across, turn
Row 2-21: Ch 2, dc in each st across, turn
Fasten off

Half piece (MAKE 2)

Row 1: Ch 42, dc into 3rd ch from hook, turn
Row 2-12: Ch 2, dc in each st across, turn
Fasten off

Assembly

You will have three crocheted pieces to put together. First you will need to place your pieces on top of each other.


The largest piece will be laid down first. (Shown outlined in pink)


Next put one of the half pieces on and match it up to top. (Shown in yellow)


Put the other half piece on and match it up to the bottom. There will be overlapping of the half pieces. Laying the pieces together this way and joining them together will produce an envelope type pillow cover.


Secure all pieces together with stitch markers to make it easy to join all pieces together. I placed a stitch marker in each corner and where all 3 pieces meet on the sides.


Starting at one corner, attach just the worsted weight yarn and single crochet evenly around. Make sure to make 3 single crochets into each corner.


Now the pillow cover is seamed together and you will have a space in the middle to put your pillow inside. Turn it inside out. This will be the 'right side'. I weaved in only the ends that I could see on the 'right side'. I left the tails inside as is because I won't see them. You can weave them in if you'd like.

Place you pillow inside. I had to stretch my fabric a bit since my pillow was so plump and fluffy. Once I stretched it, it fit nicely. If it continues to sneak up and don't cover the pillow on the back side, sew a few buttons on to keep it closed.

Labels: , ,