Add next in . Do NOT use www. for the new_domain Maria's Blue Crayon: Painted Canyon Messy Bun Hat

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Painted Canyon Messy Bun Hat



This messy bun hat has been a hot item this Winter! I made a chunky version in the earlier months of Winter, and have decided to make another! (You can check out the quick chunky version here.) This messy bun hat is similar to my former messy bun hat in terms of stitches, but this time around I used a worsted weighed yarn in one of my favorite color ways. 

This yarn is so pretty and fun, and it does all the work for you! This is the second time I'm using this yarn for my projects - (you can find the cowl I did here).  Hobby Lobby exclusively sells "I Love this Yarn!", which is a fantastic line of yarns that hold a large variety of colors. This color is called "Painted Canyon", hence the well thought of name of this hat. ;) I would compare it to Red Heart, but much softer to work with. Each skein gives you plenty to work with and is about $3.99 at Hobby Lobby stores. (Don't forget that 40% off coupon they always have available on their site!)


Since Spring is quickly approaching, I had to take this pattern off the back burner and share with you all while the air is still crisp! We have been having Spring-like weather here in Central PA, but this hat is not too heavy and because of the stitching, it is very breathable. I find it comes in handy in the brisk morning and evenings.


Quick, before this weather gets too warm - pick up your hook and get started on your own messy bun hat!

Materials:
1 skein "I Love this Yarn!" in Painted Canyon
H hook
Hair tie
*I have seen some hesitation in the crochet community about using hair ties - mostly because it may snap. I have very thin hair so I was not worried about this happening. If you have concerns, it may be a good idea to use two hair ties to double up the strength. However, I have not done this so I can not truly, 100% say how that would work out.*

Special Stitches:
FPDC (Front post double crochet AKA front loop double crochet)
BPDC (Back post double crochet AKA back loop double crochet)
SC increase - 2 SC in one stitch

Pattern notes:

Beginning chains of each round does not count as a stitch

Gauge: 4"x4" in double crochet = 12 stitches x 8 rows

Pattern:
Join your yarn to your hair tie
Row 1: Chain 1, 40 SC around the hair tie, join to first SC (40)
Row 2: Chain 3, *skip stitch, DC, DC in skipped stitch, repeat from * around, join to first DC(40)
Row 3: Chain 1, *increase SC, SC, repeat from * around, join (60)
Row 4: Repeat Row 2 (60)
Row 5: Chain 1, *5 SC, SC increase, repeat from * around, join (70)
Row 6: Repeat Row 2
Row 7: Chain 1, SC around, join
Row 8-13: Repeat rows 6&7
Row 14: Chain 3, DC around, join to first DC
Row 15-17: Chain 3, *FPDC, BPDC, repeat from * around, join

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me or leave a comment below!

Don't forget to pin this to your boards to save it for later! :)


Labels: ,